ComicsGate (or #ComicsGate) is an online movement that believes the comic book industry (especially publishers Marvel and DC) is oversaturated by political messaging that appeals explicitly to only one demographic that is not interested in the medium, to the detriment of the existing consumer base and the industry as a whole. It also addresses a lack of professionalism, inclusivity, objectivity and accountability of the publishers and their employees (i.e. management, editors, writers, artists, etc.) when dealing directly with the customers.
ComicsGaters believe the following are problems that pervade the comic book industry:
- The adoption of art styles influenced exclusively by Progressive politics, & by the awkward, stilted injection of said political messages into stories regardless of whether context demands it or not.
- The hiring of people based purely on their surface traits and "oppressed demographic" status (Women, Minorities, LGBT) rather than hiring based on merit, affinity or enthusiasm for craft.
- The change or outright replacement of beloved classic characters to pander to Progressive and/or Leftist politics instead of creating new characters for this end.
- The elitist purge of anything that is "not progressive enough."
- The rejection of honest criticism, swept aside as harassment or discrimination.
Participants in ComicsGate sometimes portray their effort as a “consumer revolt.” ComicsGate has not, so far, organized any formal boycott against the companies they dislike. A more popular tactic is what is called a “Buycott,” in which the consumers purchase comics that match their preferences and publicize their purchases, such as with #MoveTheNeedle.
This has the twofold purpose of:
- The hashtag participants are active, paying customers, and
- The comics that customers are willing to pay for and wish to see more of.
ComicsGate is often described by Industry Pros and Online Activists as motivated primarily by sexism, racism, bigotry, homophobia, and various other forms of bigotry.
DISCLAIMER: Anything below this line is made by someone intentionally misrepresenting points and using outdated and irrelevant information. Please read with a grain of salt. Tried to be civil but he keeps replacing the original posts. Since I cannot monitor this thread all day unlike DeathRayGraphic I am forced to accept his demands and capitulate. But please keep in my this is the person you’re reading from: